Tuesday, March 16, 2010

One Piece 23-38

God, so far behind. These are going to start getting lumped together

Title: One Piece Vol. 23-38
Author: Eiichiro Oda
Publisher: Viz
My take: I admit to preferring the anime, but it’s great to be able to compare the two

Spoiler-free synopsis: Fifteen volumes in three months is a lot, but it was so very worth it. Spanning from the end of Arabasta through Jaya and Skypeia and into the Aqua Laguna section of Water 7, it is in a way largely the story of Robin and an expansion of the One Piece universe.




There is just so much story here that I don’t feel even remotely ready to try to summarize it. Instead, I’m just going to do a brief comparison to the anime.

One of the really nice things that the manga does is let us see Robin’s reactions to things, which is why I say it’s largely her story. I mean it – pay attention to her in the background and you can see without words how she’s growing to care more and more about the various members of the crew. This adds impact to the information Iceburg gives Nami after the assault on his mansion.

Additionally, I love the differences – like how they encounter Ao Kiji on the island with the long animals, where the Davey Back fights are held. Incidentally? The limit to three events really added to that arc. And the Groggy Ring match? Just as painful in book form as in anime. *winces*

What else, what else… Ah! Wyper! He made so much more sense in the manga! I got what they were trying to do with him, what his motivation was, but it just never really sunk in until I read it. You could really see how the story of Norland and Calgara had stuck with him and affected him. Also, the guy Robin fought was totally dead. Totally.

Coming in the next arc should be the romp through Eines Lobby. I am very much looking forward to that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment