Wednesday, April 17, 2013

En Media Res

I've done it again. I've picked up a book in the middle of the series and end up spending a while trying to work out what's going on.

In this case it's "Pirate King" by Laurie King.  For the first time, I actually had to step away from a book I was reading in this manner and go look up one detail - why Sherlock Holmes was in it and what his relationship was to our hero. 

That worked out, I've been enjoying the book thus far, but there's a part of me that's bothered at finally having been bested by a serial series. Most books are written such that things you can't work out are also not that important, and who knows, maybe this sticking point would have been addressed later in the book than I've gotten too. 

Of course, its not enough to make me start series at the start all the time. But it may make me a little more careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment