Friday, February 15, 2013

The Pull List: Feb. 14

This week's offerings were Demon Knights No. 17, Avengers Arena No. 4, Marvel Universe The Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes No. 11 and Hawkeye No. 7 from a few weeks ago.

As usual, there may be spoilers beyond the cut.




Demon Knights 
After the changes in the last issue, I wasn't sure I'd want to continue with this series, but this issue allayed those fears. There's a lot of great fantasy tropes here, and I continue to love the characters. It feels like the pace could have been a little quicker, but in a small way - not like GL sometimes does where an entire section seems to be making time. This is more the problem of a panel here, a panel there.

Have I mentioned I love Shining Knight? I love Shining Knight. I loved when he was a stand-up goody-two-shoes style guy in the old-old comics, and I love this incarnation with all the complications and personal difficulties present. Love. <3 p="">
Earth's Mightiest Heroes
I think I may be dropping this. I was really hoping for it to be a continuation of the "Superheroes" title that I loved quite a lot, but this feels a lot closer to the Super Hero Squad style of writing. Less juvenile, but definitely focused on being a comedy. That's not bad - there was a point in this issue when Hawkeye called the Hulk to break up a fight between Thor and Hercules that had me laughing out loud - but its just not the sort of thing I'm really looking for right now in my comics.

Avengers Arena
I was a bit nervous when I started this title, but it's been okay for me so far. Not fantastic, nothing I'd absolutely recommend, but a solid title helped by the fact that I like a bunch of the characters they used. I'd feel worse if I thought the deaths in this were real deaths, but it sort of reminds me of a DS9 episode and... maybe it's just that association, or maybe it's that so many of these characters are actually pretty popular, but I just don't buy that the deaths are deaths.

This issue spent a lot of time with Chase and Nico. I'll admit, Chase is currently my favorite part of Runaways, perhaps by proxy as I'd been a massive Gert fan and I liked the two of them as a couple. So now that he's the one who's left, I sort of transferred my fannishness to him.

The art in this book remains weird. I'm not sure what I think of it - sometimes good, sometimes great, usually dynamic, but from time to time, quite "holy cow what happened to your face?!?@!"

And that ending... that ending. I wonder what that's going to mean.

Hawkeye
Now THIS one I love. This wasn't necessarily a great issue - I understand it was made in the wake of Sandy - but it was pretty cute. :)

Adds and drops
Am thinking of dropping EMH and am dropping Batwoman, and I may even drop Batwing, which I still find to be a good book but which I just don't look forward to as much as some others. Am thinking of picking up the Vibe comic in their place, for a trial four issues. But I'm not sure I want to give DC any money, so we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment