Wednesday, February 27, 2013

It's a little like eating my vegetables

I have a hard time, sometimes, reading books I know I should read.

Currently, I have "One Thousand Year of Solitude" and "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" sitting in my to-read pile, alongside things like a collection of horror short stories, a Doctor Who tie-in book and a Hawkeye trade. There's definitely, among those books, an imbalance of likely quality.

And yet, when I go to pick up one of those good books, the ones I know I should read, sometimes I find myself swapping over to the comics, or the manga, or the fluffy sci fi rather than reading what I fel like I should be reading.

I know part of this ties into my reasons for reading Fantasy and Sci fi almost exclusively. There's little escapism likely to be found in those books. But at the same time, reading is largely an entertaining pursuit, but its also a way to inform oneself of important matters. I *want* to read these books. I just never seem to be in a proper mood to seriously and deeply contemplate them. It took me positively ages to get to "The Air Between Us" or any Gaines.

Still, I have moved Angelou's book up, so I should be starting it soon. Maybe it the weather holds, it can be the first book that I read while I'm taking my afternoon walks.

Interestingly enough, I got that book at the library book sale a little bit ago. I'm somewhat amused that whoever gave it to the library neglected to take a number of things out of it, including a 15-year-old train ticket, a piece of paper with a memo on it and a bookmark with info on a bookstore in Philadelphia. It was a weird glimpse into the previous owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment