Friday, February 8, 2013

The Pull List: Feb. 6

This week we have a couple of number ones - The Fearless Defenders from Marvel and FairyQuest (1 of 2)




I loved Fairy Quest. I'm sort of disappointed that it's only planned to be two issues, because it feels like there's a lot more than could be done with the conceit.

The basic premise is that all fairy tail characters share a world, overseen by a Grimm, who sees to it with his band of thugs that no one deviates from their story. Every day they repeat the same actions - Cinderella goes to the ball, Red Riding Hood visits her grandmother and frees her from the wolf, etc.

But the repetition is pulling all of the original emotions out of the stories and changing them. Cindarella is becoming further and further from her prince. Red finds the wolf is not as scary when he's been trussed up by the hunters a few dozen times. And slowly they start to wonder if there's not a way to break out of the cycle.

A comic with art by Ramos is always going to have at least some appeal for me, as I really adore his style and it serves the story well here. It's definitely worth checking out if you're into the sort of fairy tale deviations we've been getting more of lately.

Second was the Fearless Defenders. I think this was a well-written book. I'm a big fan of the two leads we got in this issue, and I'm looking forward to more being added. I like that it feels more like the fun books I like and less like the dire ones that I'm getting fed up wiht.

But good god, can we please stop with the broken spines and the boobs-and-butt poses? This is a team book full of women. It shouldn't be giving us more than one or two entries for Escher Girls per issue. (I'd rather none, but artistic license being what it is...)

Ah well. I like the story and the character so I'll be continuing. But with any luck the art will be less... that in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment