Friday, March 1, 2013

The Pull List: Feb. 28

This week I got the first volume of Alpha from Marvel (Well, I got it last week but I didn't get around to reading it until this week because we weren't sure if it was mine or my sister's at first), Gambit 9, Young Avengers 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy .1.


 As always, there may be spoilers beyond the cut so proceed at your own risk.
 

Alpha
Alpha was... I'm not sure if it's not what I expected, exactly, since I didn't really have many expectations coming in. I didn't know the character at all. He explains his bonefides, but that doesn't really tell me much. But it had sounded interesting in previews, enough so that both me and my sister were thinking about getting it.

So I didn't exactly have expectations, but I was still surprised by where this went. To be fair, I *liked* where it went. I liked that there was a certain amount of pretty well-done humor in this issue. The art was a little weird, reminding me a bit of the problems I had with the Young Avengers first issue, but I think I like Alpha and his inner voice and while the end was pretty unexpected to me (maybe people more familiar with the character would have expected it?) 

Definitely looking forward to more.


 Gambit
This was a much better issue than the last one, and got back into the feeling of this as a sort of 007 book - this time moving the action to a night club for supervillains. the story was good, but honestly, in this issue my favorite part was the stuff going on around the main story. The way people reacted to Gambit and his 90s clothes. The way they chattered among themselves. The way they took pictures on their phone in the middle of a super-baddie fight. :)


 Young Avengers
Back to the Billy and Teddie show, with a helping of Kid Loki. I'm not familiar with this character by anything other than gossip, but he's the ebst part of this issue, with all the best lines. I'm really hoping we get to the "group" part of this group book soon though. I wouldn't necesarily mind a Hulkling and Wiccan book, but I'd like it to be CALLED that.


Guardians of the Galaxy
We get the origin of Peter Quill here. After having read young Avengers, I was sort of struck by the similarity of his backstory to Hulkling's. Also, his parents were super cute together and I'd have loved more time with them. But I think it was a nice introduction to the series. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment