Thursday, March 21, 2013

I stopped listening three endings ago

Ever have a book, movie, or game that just Would. Not. End? I guess the final Lord of the Rings movie is probably the best example of this, as it has at least four things and as many as eight which could reasonably have been "The End." But it crops up all the time. I know it can be subjective, but sometimes this bothers me and sometimes it doesn't (And while the LotR one didn't bother me, the one in the final case of the second Phoenix Wright game did, while I know some people who feel the exact opposite).

For this reason, I'm feeling a little nervous about the idea of adding a false ending to one of the stories I'm working on. It's not that I think it's the wrong choice - it's what makes the most sense to me. 

I guess you can't really worry about what people will like or dislike, you just have to write your story and worry about it on the next go-round. But at the same time, I find myself thinking, if this were not my baby, if I were not the writer, would this piss me off?

I hate that the answer sort of feels like yes. A sign that I should change my mind? Second draft will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment