Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I HAD To Buy...But Are Still Sitting On My Shelf Unread

Top Ten Tuesday is a regular feature on the Broke and Bookish blog. This week's list is a look at the books I grabbed off the shelf when I saw them - and still have not gotten around to reading.

1. Bob Moore: Desperate times - I have had this book on my Nook for AGES. I bought it as soon as I finished No Hero, which I loved. But somehow, there's just never been a good time to get around to it.

2. Scarlet - Another one that's frustrating me with my inability to just GET to it. I suspect I'll really enjoy it when I try.

3. Barbara - I love Tezuka's work, to varying degrees, and I've had this one sitting around for about six months. It's right by my bed, but somehow other things always seem to move up in the queue.

4. Invasion - In contrast, I've never read any Mercedes Lackey, but I got this one in a Humble Bundle a while ago and was really looking forward to reading it. Sadly, I've just not gotten to it yet.

5. One Thousand Years of Solitude - I'm certain I will enjoy this classic once I get around to reading it. But just the word classic is sometimes enough to make me put something down and reach for a comic book instead.

6. The Wizard of Oz comics - Scottie Young's art makes these books VERY cute, and while I didn't buy them - my sister did  - I've been meaning to borrow and read them for a while and keep failing to remember.

7. Princess Knight - Another Tezuka book, held off this time because my order of Vol. 2 came in but Vol. 1 got cancelled. Usually that's not a big problem for me, but I've found comics can be harder than novels to get into later.

8. Jonah Hex: Face Full of Violence - I picked this one up at a comic con TWO YEARS ago! I think it might be a winner of longest holdout award.

9. Pirate Cinema - Another book from the same Humble Bundle as Invasion, but much lower since while it's been waiting longer, I wasn't as gung-ho about it in the first place.

10. Ghosts of Manhattan - I actually tried to read this one once. I think I was just not in the right mindset to enjoy it though, and failed after about 20 pages. Still staring at me from the shelf.

4 comments:

  1. Now might be a great time to pull out the WOO comics.

    I'm developing a theory about why this is such a common event for all of us. Maybe we can blame it on the bookstores. Perhaps there should be policies in place for those of us who can't seem to control our book purchases. Special cards? Rules where we can return books for a full refund if we haven't read the book in thirty days?

    I'm still thinking about this.

    Here's my Top Ten Books I HAD To Buy...But Are Still Sitting On My Shelf Unread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I probably need someone reining in my comic purchases. I'm always, always behind. >.<

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love SCARLET! It's a quick read -- you should definitely make time for it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I may move that and Barbara up to next. Good and bad news is, my local library is closing soon for renovations, so I'll have some... extra time for my shelved books :)

      Delete